I'm putting together a high level list of general scoping questions to better serve architectural design from a consulting vendor standpoint utilizing a hosting model.
I'm interested in hearing from experts as to what they feel are the keyed most valuable questions when working on a best fit -what do DBA's need to know.
Questions I have initially come up with are as follows
- Q - What database platform is currently in use?
- Q - What version of the product?
- Ex: 32/64, standard, enterprise
- Q - What service pack are you on?
- How often do you update to the latest?
- Q - What HA model is being used currently?
- Ex: mirroring, log shipping, active/passive, master/slave, clustering
- Q - What is the disk size currently allocated to databases?
- Q - How many database instances do you currently have in use?
- Q - What is the RTO/RPO for this application?
- Q - How are you currently partitioning your data?
- Ex: - how many LUNs, purposing of each volume in regards to the database.